Sunday, June 25, 2006

First Disc Golf Post

My first post about disc golf. First, let me say that is not dork sport as my wife calls it. "Frisbee for people with no friends." Why no friends?, I asked. "Because, if you had friends they could catch the Frisbee." By the way, she has played and liked it. So there!

I am not good by any stretch but you have to love a sport that combines the skill of Frisbee, the leisure of bowling (cigarettes and beer optional but not inappropriate.), the rules of golf, and the price of hackey sack.

There are several courses in the Charlotte Area. The www.pdga.org site does a good job of keeping up with them. I have played Renaissance Park and Winthrop Lakefront. Reny is by far the most technical I have been to, much like the mtn. bike course which sometimes crosses. It makes you tired. Hiking (and I do mean hiking the course) is a workout in itself for the weekend warrior. The course is well marked making it a breeze to navigate. I have lost a couple discs in the rough and actually found one. (Todd Stewart, Todd Stewart, I have your distance driver.)

Winthrop was a nice easy course that goes around the lake on Winthrop's campus. The Lakefront course is a little hard to navigate since the disccatchers are marked for the gold course, I think. There are also engraved marble plaques with hole numbers and distances planted in the ground which no longer seem to be valid for figured out anything. Oh and here is picture of a duck about to peck at my buddy's shoe...
He chased us at hole 9 and 10. We also met some guys who had actually built dredging equipment from old bike parts and couple hundred feet of nylon rope. The toss in the multi hooked apparatus and pull it across the lake looking for lost discs that they sell on eBay or keep for themselves. One guy had found 11 that week alone. We are pretty bad but we did manage to keep our discs out of the lake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We ran into the same duck today and discovered from a local that his name is Fred and has quite a reputation around the course.

Anonymous said...

We also ran into this duck. it bit my friend twice before he had to kick it to go away. The guy at Innova said the ducks name was fred.